Toxins vs. Toxicants

Mark Korchinski bc962 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Wed Feb 14 09:51:56 EST 1996

Interesting question. In the quest to stop the massacre of the English
languange here are the definitions as per Stedman's Medical Dictionary
24th Ed.:

toxin: a noxious of poisonous substance that is formed or elaborated either
as an integral part of the cell or tissue, as an extracellular product
(exotoxin), or as a combination of the two, during the metabolism and
growth of certain microorganisms, as well as some of the higher plant and
animal species; in general, t.'s are relatively complex antigenic
molecules, and the chemical compositions are usually not precisely known.

toxicant: 1. Poisonous. 2. Any poisonous agent, specifically an alcoholic
or other poison, causing symptoms of what is popularly called intoxication.

--
Mark
<<< I never let my schooling get in the way of my education>>>