Animal Models in Toxicology

Paul Whitehead p.whitehead at dial.pipex.com
Thu Feb 15 10:59:09 EST 1996

drjackbud at aol.com (DrJackBud) wrote:

>Please educate me.  I don't think you are referring to the ginger jake
>problem caused by organophosphate insecticide contamination of Jamaican
>ginger???

No, not that well-known American Board of Toxicology question!

The Spanish Toxic Oil Syndrome was the outbreak of poisoning in in
Spain in 1980 (?) as a result of the illegal sale of heat treated
aniline-adulterated olive oil.  There were a number of deaths and
illnesses related to respiratory disease (pulmonary fibrosis) and
immune system dysfunction.  Although samples of the oil are available,
to the best of my knowledge there is no animal model that demonstrates
the human findings.  The causative factor in the oil and the aetiology
are unknown.

The perpetrators went to jail.

Paul Whitehead BSc CBiol MIBiol DABT
United Kingdom