occupational exposure

RichVero richvero at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 02:01:11 EST 1996

Dear Gary,

It's always disheartening to hear of a young child who experiences such
difficulties and will be suffering for her lifetime with the handicaps you
mentioned.  Your subject is one of interest to me.  I am currently
involved in a graduate research project through the University of South
Florida investigating environmental circumstances which have been found to
compromise neurological development in the growing fetus.  Can you get me
more details on the exact chemicals this woman worked with during
pregnancy.  You mentioned toluene which is strongly neurotoxic - do  you
know what levels they were in the air she was breathing.  The bottom line
is that the human brain is growing at over 4,000 cells per second
beginning after the fourth week of pregnancy.  Different parts of the
brain develop in different periods during pregnancy.  A toxic insult at
what scientists call a "critical period" can damage development that would
be occuring for weeks after the insult.  Small head circumference is
common in neurolgical damage cases - in fact, large head circumference at
birth was found to be one of the best predictors for a child's future
intellectual development.   So far I've summarized and categorized the
research on over 20 common neurotoxicants including alcohol - cigarettes -
marijuana - cocaine - monosodium glutamate (MSG) - Aspartame - Mercury -
Pesticides - Artificial Colors - Dioxin - PCB's - plastic compounds -
fluoride - solvents (i.e. toluene) and many others.  I'll post more in the
coming weeks.   Take Care - Richard