Sampling water contaminants

Byron Bodo bodo at io.org
Wed Feb 21 07:46:00 EST 1996

chauncey at usgs.gov (Chauncey W. Anderson) wrote:
>In article <4g1asn$2d5 at ionews.io.org>, Byron Bodo <bodo at io.org> writes:
>> Louise Lapierre <74267.2135 at CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>> While you're at it don't forget to get the basic ancillary data,
>> i.e., suspended solids, DOC, TOC (or POC on the particles).  I
>> just waded through extensive literature on global organochlorine
>> levels, and the majority of investigators have failed to collect
>> or report SS, DOC, POC which severely limits the use of the data for
>> comparative study and extrapolation.

>Very important -- I agree wholeheartedly.. Also, if you're measuring
>trace metals, don't forget to measure hardness if you want to relate
>the concentrations to water-quality criteria

Oh yeah. And don't forget stream flows & upstream drainage areas if
possible.  I'm struggling with a mess of reports mostly by environmental
chem types who measure things down to pg/L at 3 digit accuracy, but
haven't included the necessary hydrologic data to determine the
mass flows & unit area loads which are amongst the more important
derived data for management purposes.

-bb
--
Byron Bodo     240 Markham St.        tel: (416) 967 7286