vote to moderate bionet.toxicology?

Peter Bell bell at morpheus.cis.yale.edu
Wed Jan 3 16:21:53 EST 1996

In article <199601031549.JAA36009 at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> rellim at MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU (Chuck Miller) writes:

>Now is the time to voice your opinion if you are strongly for or against
>moderation. Please post your opinions to the group (toxicol at net.bio.net or
>toxicol at daresbury.ac.uk, depending on your location in the world) rather
>than to me. Guidelines for what constitutes an "appropriate" message have
>been laid out by BIOSCI/BIONET. I will follow these guidelines in

I'm confused.  You want opinions to go to the group, which hereabouts is
bionet.toxicology, but then give what look to be two addresses for
listservers.

Are you proposing to moderate the group bionet.toxicology, or to moderate
a mailing list?  My reaction to the former is "no, please," and to the
latter is "absolutely.  Mailing lists should be moderated."

>Basically - any posting of even remote toxicological interest will be
>posted. Moderation will only be used to sensor the "get rich quick" and
>other junk messages.

Could you give an example of "other junk messages?"  What I'm curious
about is whether the recent debate on mercury that came to visit from
sci.med.dentistry would be "remotely toxicologically interesting" in your
opinion, or would be filtered.  I ask because that seems to've been the
only recent and relatively high-volume conversation on the group.

Granted, it was (for me) a pointless flamewar.  But if my specialty
happened to be mercury, I'd have been interested in it from the
perspective of what people in the universe think on the topic, as I
occasionally am interested by the discussions of algal food supplements
and their potential toxicity over on rec.food.veg.

Additionally, I'd say it was relevant to bionet.toxicology, as the folk
were presumably hoping to solicit a professional opinion.

Hence, I'm curious  if that would've been a conversation you'd have left
out, or if there has been spam that's been cancelled on Usenet but has
made it onto mailing lists, and hence is visible to you but not to me.

Peter Bell

--
bell at minerva.cis.yale.edu | http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~bell/bell.html
Boil up a batch of shrimp: everyone for miles is beating down your door.
evaluation.                                          -- ken at seefried.com