Zinc

Peter van den Hazel pvdhazel at INTER.NL.NET
Tue Jan 9 07:52:07 EST 1996

    Has anyone experience with zinc in blood rates? We have a problem with a
family that lives near a zinc smelter (they coat metals with zinc). Some
household animals have expired last year. The family has been exposed to the
fumes of the factory. Their zinc in blood is slightly above the amount that
the hospital regards as the normal range. But what does it mean if you are
slightly above this range? Could there be any health effects? According to
the NOELs for ingestion it seems that one can have a lot of zinc before any
effect occurs. But how can we relate the amount in blood with exposure? Does
anyone have data on dose response effects? In the ATSDR report on zinc I
cannot find anything. Please any suggestion is welcome.

Peter van den Hazel, M.D.
environmental health physician

snailmail: pb 5364
           6802 EJ   Arnhem