ARTERIAL pCO2 IN LAB ANIMALS

JAN CZEKAJEWSKI 75144.2413 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Jul 22 14:32:58 EST 1996

Arterial pCO2 is one of the variables which interferes other
physiological parameters in anesthetized animals during surgical
experiments. It needs to be kept at more or less constant level
during experiment. It has been established that the value of
arterial pCO2 is identical to the end-tidal CO2. End-tidal CO2
measurement in larger animals and in humans are not a problem
because of the presence of sufficient volume of available
respiratory gases while the measurements in very small animals
such as in rats and mice were difficult because of low volume of
gas. In rats and mice, arterial pCO2 can be measured without
drawing blood from artery. We developed Micro-capnometer
(end-tidal CO2 meter) that utilizes low air sample flow rates (5,
20 ml/min) and is ideal for laboratory animals especially, for
rats and mice. The device has also the capability of determining
the respiration rate by counting the period from the wave pattern
of CO2 concentration. If you are interested in this device and
its application in rats and mice, please e-mail your street
address. I will send you all the necessary information.

JAN