Does Acetone Neutralize Dioxin Contaminated Apparati?

Deborah Dixon Janessia at cris.com
Mon Jun 17 20:57:20 EST 1996

On 14 Jun 1996, Kristofor Schuett wrote:

> I have seen in our campus Environmental Health and Safety (the Haz Mat
> folks here at OSU) guidelines that acetone can be used to neutralize PCBs
> (is this actually true?)  Would acetone have the same effect on other
> lipophilic polychlorinated compounds such as dioxins?  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Kris Schuett
> Dept. of Zoology
> Ohio State University
> schuett.1 at osu.edu

I think you probably mean decontaminate (not the same as  neutralize).
Decontamination can be done with a number of solvents (all it takes is a
solvent in which the contaminant is soluble).

Deborah Dixon

Lady Jeannesson Cheronnet de Champagne, called Janessia
janessia at cris.com
Canton of Owl's Nest, Meridies

Gig 'em Aggies! Class of '87

This message contains my personal opinion. No professional
guarantees or assurances are implied or promised.