HELP!

Brian Hiestand hiestand.2 at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jun 20 09:10:53 EST 1996

In article <01bb5e3d.0dbc97a0$3b8baec7 at SPRY057284> "Matt Cosgriff" <dolpl72 at sprynet.com> writes:
>.sprynet.com!news
>From: "Matt Cosgriff" <dolpl72 at sprynet.com>
>Newsgroups: bionet.toxicology
>Subject: HELP!
>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 20:11:39 -0400

>Does anyone have any information on Toxic Epidermal Necrolsys.  If not do
>you know where I can get some help.

Hi,

	From Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease, 5th Ed., p 1195.
	"Another variant {of erythema multiforme}, termed toxic epidermal
necrolysis, results in diffuse necrosis and sloughing of cutaneous and
mucosal epithelial surfaces, producing a clinical situation analagous to and
extensive burn.
	MORPHOLOGY. Histologically, early leasions show a superficial perivascular,
lymphocytic infiltrate associated with dermal edema and margination of
lymphocytes along the dermoepidermal junction, wher they are intimately
associated with degenerating and necrotic keratinocytes.  With time, there is
upward migration of lymphocytes into the epidermis.  Discrete and confluent
zones of epidermal necrosis occur with concomitant blister formation.
Epidermal sloughing leads to shallow erosions." end citation

	Robbins also notes that erythema multiforme is a hypersensitivity response to
certain infections and drugs, athough it does not list offenders, nor does it
say what type of hypersensitivity reaction, although I would suspect type II
or III.  I might suggest a dermatology text for more information.

Brian Hiestand
MED III, Ohio State University

"I proudly stand by ALL of my tpographical errors!"