atypical myoglobin urea

Stephan Helfer S.Helfer at
Wed Mar 20 08:08:18 EST 1996

dear toxicologists
I am a mycologist and know precious little about toxicology. However,
a friend recently called with rotting wood samples which had been chewed by
horses. One of the three horses in the wooded field in Sutherland /
Scotland was found dead one morning, having died of atypical
myoglobin urea. From the wood we could only isolate Vuilleminia
comedens and a few lichens (mainly Parmelia sp.) and mosses. To me it
seems unlikely that the horse died as a result of eating any of the
above organisms, and my question is whether anybody has any
experience with the toxins involved in atypical myoglobin urea.

Thanks in advance

Yours sincerely

Dr Stephan Helfer, SSO
Mycologist / Plant Pathologist

Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, Inverleith Row, EDINBURGH EH3 5LR,
Scotland UK

phone: +44 (0)131 552 7171 ext 280
    or +44 (0)131 459 0446-280 (direct digital VoiceMail line)
fax:   +44 (0)131 552 0382
 A century of fungal science