Teeth as radiation detectors

pro at kiki.com pro at kiki.com
Sun Nov 17 08:04:49 EST 1996

Hi,

Yes, teeth can be used as a dosimeter (and have...). TLD is one method, but has some problems.
Another is the use of a technique called ESR, using the eletron spin of long lived free radicals
left in the enamal as dose dependent monitors. And then there is a in situ method that has been
developed using photo luminesence.

Anyway, a good document search in medline or other journal indexes will give you plenty of
references. At our home page is a link to Barry Pass in Canada who has done some work in this area.

goto:  http://www.sph.umich.edu/~bbusby/spec.htm

and look under dosimetry.

-Bruce Busby