Teeth as radiation detectors

Antonio Quiñones aq12 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 16 21:56:51 EST 1996

I am posting to these two news groups hoping that someone out
there wil have an answer or direction regarding my question.

I am somewhat familiar with the use of thermoluminescent detectors
(TLDs) to passively detect ionizing radiation with specially designed
crystals. However, I believe I read (quite a while ago) that teeth, in
their structure, can also store a "record" of ionizing radiation dose in
a manner analogous to TLDs.  I have been unsuccesful in locating
the source of this information.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this?  Specifically, of the use
of teeth to develop a retrospective record of ionizing radiation
dose?

Many thanks

Antonio Quiñones
aq12 at cornell.edu