Poitical abuses in national research authority

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Thu Oct 17 11:16:21 EST 1996

In article <542fb3$ht0 at falcon.le.ac.uk> Dr E. Buxbaum, EB15 at le.ac.uk
writes:
>On the other hand we have considerable problems in our society with
addictive
>drugs. Amplifying
>those by creating a legal market for jet another one of them should be
>considered only in dire
>emergency, if all other options are exausted. Opiates and
benzodiazepines show
>how easy it is
>to divert such substances from legal to illegal use. And cannabis IS an
addictive drug,
>contrary to the long disproved claims of its proponents. It can cause
>psychological dependency
>in "normal", and physical dependency in very high doses.

Dr. Buxbaum,

Would you mind providing citations to support your statement that
marijuana is addictive?

I think that Patricia and Bill Skaggs raise excellent points. Aside from
all the loaded issues surrounding whether cannabis is "moral" or even
"safe" (which it is, relatively speaking), there are the practical issues
of drug development procedures and cost to consider. Cannabis is a
substance that millions of people in this country, and probably billions
of people throughout history, have used for either medical or
recreational reasons. It literally grows on trees, and there're plenty of
people who would absolutely love to help grow it for medical and private
purposes. It's right here in front of our faces, and has the possibility
of being a clinically useful agent, but we'll never know unless we study
all aspects of its use scientifically. Ignoring its existence, or
forbidding people from studying it, or jailing people for growing or
using it, is a waste of time and money (to say the least) because it
grows like a weed anyway.

I would also point out that derivatives of the opium poppy are addictive
(I'm sure I can find references for this if I need to), but that doesn't
prevent us from making excellent use of these compounds in operating
rooms or cough syrup.

Cheers,
Matt Jones