Source for P4501A?

"JWILSON 363-6806", 604 jwilson at IOS.BC.CA
Tue Sep 10 15:48:23 EST 1996

Jeff Brown wrote:
>Is there a source for anti-CYP1A (cytochrome P450) raised against fish?
>Has anyone tried Cemicon's anti-CYP1A1 raised against rat for fish
>assays?
>
>Any information will be appreciated,
>Jeff

Antibodies for CYP 1A1 have been raised against a few fish species, the most
common
being scup and rainbow trout.  These antibodies should be available from a new
company in Norway
called Biosense Laboratories (47-55 54 37 30 telephone).  There is another
company, also from Norway called Tara Labs which we purchased antibody from
several years ago but I am not sure if they are still around.  The anitbodies
we currently use were generated for us by an associate.  Many people in this
field use this alternative as a cheaper way to get antibodies.  There are
several people who do this on a cost recovery basis.  You should check around
to see if someone nearby performs this assay- they may have a local source of
antibody that could also supply you.
As for the rat antibody- I have never used it but you should have success with
it.  The antibody we use recognises a wide assortment of species including:
english sole, chinook salmon, peamouth chub and other fish species, beluga
whale, seal, polar bear and my rat 1A1 standard to name a few.  You will
probably have more success if it is a polyclonal antibody.  As long as they
have used a conserved section of the 1A1 protein to generate the antibody,
which they would for a commercial endeavor, cross reactivity should be high.
Remember that the evolutionary divergence between fish groups can be very large
and raising an antibody in a fish does not guarantee that your fish species
will react the same as the species the antibody was raised against.  I know of
one case where a researcher has had difficulty with two separate antibodies
(both raised against fish species) with his particular fish samples.  Also
remember that even if binding is not great, you can use tertiary antibodies to
increase your signal to noise ratio to get better results.
Good Luck,
Joanna

Joanna Wilson
Contaminant Sciences Section