Can anything survive in a chlorinated pool?

Peter scanner at dial.pipex.com
Mon Sep 16 09:49:02 EST 1996

Hello,

Our 3yr old boy has had 3 lots of tonsillitis, all within a 2 month
period.

As antibiotics appear to have worked each time within 5 days or so,
the cause would appear to be a bacterium rather than a virus.

We have a domestic swimming pool, correctly chlorinated, temp about
27-28C, and each illness started within 1-2 days of him having a
splash in the pool.

Is it possible for something in the pool to be causing this? I could
"try it" for a 4th time, but he really suffers and it looks like there
is a good correlation. However, I use the pool a lot, with no ill
effects. I can drain the pool but don't want to do it unnecessarily as
it costs about $300 in water to refill.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Please copy reply by e-mail. Thank
you.

Peter.