more P450 questions

"JWILSON 363-6806", 604 jwilson at IOS.BC.CA
Mon Sep 16 12:16:39 EST 1996

A few more comments on the P450 discussion:

The specificity problem with CYP enzymes depends on your intended use of them.
For biomonitoring, the catalytic activities offer a quick, easy way to
determine biological exposure to particular compounds (especially in the case
of CYP 1A1) and sometimes for determination of toxicity to the test organisms.
For the EROD assay, human or mammalian research may be a bit more complicated
in assessment due to the presence of CYP 1A2.  However, in the case of
non-mammalian systems such as fish, CYP 1A2 is not present (it is due to a gene
duplication event after the mammalian group was formed).  Therefore, you can be
confident that your activity  is due to CYP 1A1.
Considering the wide variety of substrates for the P450 enzymes, it is not
really any wonder that a "specific" substrate is difficult to find, especially
between enzymes that are closely related. For some research this proves
difficult,  but for field work, the catalytic activities can be very useful in
spite of this problem.

Joanna

Joanna Wilson
Institute of Ocean Sciences