Can anything survive in a chlorinated pool?

* John Pickrell PICKRELL at vet.ksu.edu
Wed Sep 18 18:01:53 EST 1996

To:             toxicol at net.bio.net
From:           cigolott at nbnet.nb.ca (tom c.)
Subject:        Re: Can anything survive in a chlorinated pool?
Date sent:      18 Sep 1996 20:53:10 GMT

Peter,

I agree so far with the advice given you.  You might check with your
pediatrician.  Tonsillitis, as I understand it is an inflammation of
the tonsil, which gets sufficiently large to be noticed clinically.
The original problem may be remote to the pool, and the pool
may be predisposing it, by letting the child get too tired.  If this
were the case, for example, pulling the child from the pool would
have a positive effect.  After you had drained the pool and the child
reentered and got tired, the tonsillitis would kick up again.

Alternatively, the tonsillitis may have developed to the point where
it is continually expressing itself clinically.  If, for example this
were the case, the suggestion to pull the child from using the pool
would have little effect.

If the temperature is reducing the effect of chlorination, removing
the child from the pool could have a positive effect.
Superchlorination would help in this case, and is used in public
pools.

If the child is doing something related to the pool, like catching a
fungus or bacterial disease when dressing, in a contaminated dressing
room (unlikely, but the best I could think of), stopping the activity
will have a positive effect, but cleaning the pool would not keep
this from reoccurring when the chain of events are set into motion.

Best,

John A. Pickrell
Comparative Toxicology
Kansas State University