Ginseng and hydorcarbons.

JenandMike jenandmike at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 21:05:54 EST 1997

>This statement makes little sense. "Hydrocarbons" is a >very general term
>for all chemicals (natural or synthetic) which contain only >carbon and
>hydrogen. Sugars for example are common hydrocarbons. >Other hydrocarbons
>are crude petroleum derived compounds (which of course >can pose health
>risks.) Supplements from Panax spp. (ginseng species) are >tonic OTC or
>health food remedies with little or no healthrisks (with a >few
exceptions,
>consult your R.Ph, or other health professional). Actives in >ginseng are
>considered saponines (ginsenosides). These are indeed >hydrocarbons but I
>have not heard of any accumulative effects regarding >ginsenosides..
>Ginseng products in the U.S. are considered "food >supplements" and
>regulated as such.

I need to correct my own comment here since I mixed up the terms
hydrocarbons and carbohydrates. Of course hydrocarbons (e.g. butane or
benzene) are only molecules from hydrogen and carbon while carbohydrates
are molecules composed of oxygen, carbon and hydrogens (e.g. sugars).
Ginsenosides are saponines composed of a steroid like structure linked to
sugars.
Hydrocarbons should not be found in ginseng roots unless they are
contaminated or somehow treated with petroleum derived solvents etc.
Sorry for my embarassing mix up in my first message.

M.L.