Endocrine Disrupters

Bradley L Aaron blaaron at UMICH.EDU
Thu Apr 17 17:24:47 EST 1997

For the information of all concerned (including me), in which
peer-reviewed scientific journal did the below mentioned appear, and when?

B. L. Aaron, MS

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Bill Ewald wrote:

>=20
> The references for Mr. Ryder's article do not include any from a
> peer-reviewed scientific journal. You can view a US EPA Special Report
> on  Environmental Endocrine Disruption, including 20 pages of references
> at:
>=20
>           www.epa.gov/ORD/whatsnew.htm
>                    =20
>                         Regards,
>=20
>                         Bill Ewald
>=20
>=20
> >Ralph Ryder wrote:
> >=20
> > Several people have asked for the references from this article, so I am
> > reposting it now.
> >=20
> > Endocrine disruptors, also called "environmental hormones," are >man-ma=
de chemicals that act like hormones, especially estrogen=92s, and >interfer=
e with the normal functions of the bodies hormone system.
> >=20
> >         Evidence exist that many common chlorinated substances such as
> > PCBs, dioxin, and many pesticides act as endocrine disruptors.
> >=20
> >         Over the last fifty years the chemical industry has showered >t=
he  world with between 70,000 to 100,000 new chemicals compounds.
>=20
> >   [Several paragraphs deleted.]
> > Inc. ISBN 0-471-57545-3
> > 2) Burlington & Lindeman study: published in Proceedings of the Society
> > of Experimental Biology and Medicine 1950
> > 3) "Silent Spring" Rachel Carson. 1992.
> > 4) "Our Stolen Future". Theo Colborn, John Peterson Myers, Dianne
> > Dumanski. Dutton Press 1996 ISBN 0 316 87546 5.
> > 5) Chemically Induced Alterations in Sexual and Functional Development:
> > The Wildlife-Human Connection: The Wingspread Conference, July 26-28
> > Racine, Wisconsin 1991.
> > 6) "Endocrine Disruptors" by Peter de Fur (Virginia Commonwealth
> > University) & Carolyn Raffensperger (Director of the Science and
> > Environmental Health Network). Rewritten for "Taking Action," Strategy
> > Recommendations from the 3rd Citizens Conference on Dioxin and Other
> > Synthetic Hormone Disruptors, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, March 15-17 1996.
> > 7) Dr. Vyvyan Howard. Senior Lecturer, Fetal and Infant Toxico-
> > Pathology, Liverpool University. Presentation on "Endocrine >Disruptors=
=2E"  Communities Against Toxics/Greenpeace Conference: >Ellesmere Port,  C=
heshire, June 1996.
> > 8) Rachel=92s Environment & Health Weekly #499.
> > 9) Theo Colborn "Hormone Copy Cats." WWF video. 1996.
> > 10) Tom Webster Interview: =91Toxcat=92 ISSN 1355-5707 Vol. 1 No 3 Autu=
mn
> > 1994.
> > 11) Paul Connett Interview: =91Toxcat=92 ISSN 1355-5707 Vol. 1 No 2 Spr=
ing
> > 1994.
> > 12) Dr. Linda Birnbaum (USEPA) Presentation to the Great Lakes Water
> > Quality Board 102nd Meeting, Chicago Illinois, July 15 1993.
> > 13) Dr. Rall (M.D., Ph.D.) Presentation on Human Health Consequences of
> > Dioxin. Dioxins and Health: Truth or Consequences. Physicians for >Soci=
al  Responsibility Conference, Salem Public Library, Salem, Oregon. >13 Apr=
il 1996