nicotine info/alt rat poison

donald haarmann Donald-Haarmann at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 22 18:22:23 EST 1997

Karl Magdsick <karlm at mit.edu> wrote in article <01bd0b28$79204fc0$2500c212 at karlm.mit.edu>...
> Now that winter has decended on new england, the mice are comming indoors.
> It seems that I am never able to set the traps enough askew that the very
> small mice I have set it off.  I'm using the smallest victor traps made.

[snip]

You can (could?) buy nicotine sulphate in garden supply stores,
where it is sold as an insecticide. Biologists use it to poison
turtles. But then the turtles do not have much choice! You put it
on cotton and place it in their mouths. I doubt you could get any
mammal to eat it voluntarily, due to its bitter taste.

Forty plus years ago I remember my father buying some rat Poison
that contained white phosphorus! The instructions were to spread it
on bread or same such. It smoke and glowed in the dark!! The rats
loved it. Over wintering mice ate through the zinc tube to get at it!!

Preparation of white phosphorus rat/mice bait is described in:

Dick's Encyclopedia of Practical Receipts and Processes ca. 1870.

I have found that sugar loving ants will readily take cyanide!
Wouldn't care to leave it laying about.

You could buy a ferret!

--
donald j haarmann