LETHAL R-134a concentrations from evaporator failure

Phil Irvine Phil.Irvine at NOSPAMdwt.csiro.au
Sun Nov 23 18:00:22 EST 1997

In article <3478363A.56A0 at tanstaaflgroup.com>,
   Don Saunders <don-saunders at tanstaaflgroup.com> wrote:
>E. William Lawrence III wrote:
>
>(snip)

>On the issue of whether or not 134a can be lethal to passengers:
>	How likely is a total release in a short period with no
introduction of
>outside air?
>	Anyone truly concerned that this might happen in their car has the
>choice of eliminating the danger by having their AC system evacuated.
>	Cars are lethal in many ways.  Anyone who gets in one should
recognize
>that they are one of the leading causes of death in the US.  Potential
>leakage of refrigerant from the AC unit should be the least of their
>worries.
>
>Let's keep in mind that RISK is a combination of HAZARD (toxicity) and
>EXPOSURE.  Without both, there is no risk.

Using this argument (about amount of leakage), you can not argue against
the use of Hydrocarbon refrigerants in automobile A/C systems. The ONLY
argument used against them is the possibility of explosion in the cabin
from massive leakage. If there is no leakage then there is no risk (as
studies have shown conclusively) and we should be using them for all the
other good reasons which have been mentioned previously. (isn't this taking
the thread back to where it started weeks ago?).
Phil