Gasoline toxicity

dbyrd ctraps at POP.RADIX.NET
Mon Oct 20 09:38:06 EST 1997

altavoz wrote:
 > Gasoline is not toxic , it is inert , most alkanes are .
 > The additives are toxic .

Actually, gasoline is very toxic, and the petroleum industry works
hard to promulgate warnings to prevent people from doing things like
using gasoline as a solvent around the home, siphoning it with your
mouth, and so forth.  Still, every year poisoning incidents occur.
Extesnive toxicology studies are available in the literature and from
the indusstry.  (Write the American Petroelum Institute.)   Next
time you fill up, check for a warning label on the pump.  I think any
statement that gasoline is inert is dangerous and incompetent.

Tom Adams wrote:

> What component is not toxic in Gasoline, the Benzene, the Xylene,
> Naptha may be primarly a mixture of alkanes, but reforming and
> isomerization both great a fair number of toxins. FYI,  Hexane is
> reckonized toxin.

The industry also has done the responsible thing and performed
bioassays on the mixture.  I do not understand trying to estimate the
toxicity of a complex misture component by component.

Daniel M. Byrd III, Ph.D., D.A.B.T.
President,
Consultants in Toxicology, Risk Assessment and Product Safety
Suite 150
1225 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005
(202)371-0603 (office)