determination of LD50 with rats

Christopheeee (spam free) "Hatton" at ifn-magdeburg.germany
Tue Sep 9 17:37:21 EST 1997

Tom McCloud wrote:

> DUFRASNE FRANCOIS wrote:
> >
> > I'm a student in pharmacy and I need this information:
> > WHAT'S THE PROTOCOL TO DETERMINE THE LD50 WITH RATS (100 rats for example)?
> > Please, if somebody has a precise answer, send me it on my E-mail:
> > DUFRASNE at RESULB.ULB.AC.BE.
> > I need a an answer for tuesday 9th september later!!!!!

[Snip]

   Now lets think about this:   if I inject a high dose into all
> 100 and all 100 die, then I don't know the ED50.  And if I inject a very
> small dose into all 100 and none die, then I don't know the ED50.    So
> what sort of an experimental protocol could I propose that
> would allow me to calculate an ED50????           Tom McCloud

Thats a good answer and to follow up with a question is brilliant, a
good way to encourage our students to think for themselves.  A clue
Francios is d**e r****se c'''e, but how would you go about it.

Christopher  Hatton
Federal Institute for Neurobiology
Magdeburg