REPOST of NEED NEW RESEARCH (added contacts)

Ken Gates kgates at jnpcs.com
Sat Sep 13 16:46:09 EST 1997

     A Brief look into the IC world.
This is a document written by Ruth Kriz a nurse practitioner and is also an
IC sufferer.
Ruth is symptom free now, there a at least 10 local IC sufferers in the
Northern VA area
that are now symptom free. I C is of course interstitial cystitis, What Ruth
looks at is a part of the IC connection that has had no research.
"INTERSTITIAL" They came up with a name now put 2&2 together and see what
comes out.  Good luck to all of the IC people out there. I hope this will
help just one IC Sufferer.

Ken Gates.

The Mechanism of I.C. and How Detoxing Helps

 Lymph contains bacteria fighting neutrophils and monocytes (types of
WBC's). Also macrophages (big guns) are utilized to kill invading bacteria.
These release chemicals, which kill bacteria, cause redness, and help digest
toxins produced by I.   The lymphatic system of the body
 A. We all know what cystitis means, but what about interstitial?
 It means between cells. Like almost all the tissues of the body, the
bladder wall has cells and interstitial spaces. These spaces are filled with
lymphatic fluid that continuously bathes the cells. However, for those with
I.C., those bladder wall tissues have become, swollen, inflamed, painful,
and a source of misery. We as well as our doctors have concentrated on the
cystitis part of this disease. I'd like to concentrate on the interstitial
part and what you can do to help your body eliminate the infection and
toxins from these interstitial spaces.

 B.  What is the lymphatic system?
  We all know that we have a circulatory system in our body that carries the
blood throughout. This system consists of organs such as the heart and
lungs, large vessels such as the aorta and the superior and inferior vena
cavas which drain the upper and lower parts of the body, and small blood
vessels and capillaries which transfer oxygen and CO2 as well as nutrients
to and from the cells. However, there is a parallel system that is largely
ignored by the medical profession. This is known as the lymphatic system.
This system likewise circulates fluid and if it would shut down, you would
die within 24 hours.  Lymphatic fluid is manufactured by the liver and
intestines, circulates via the blood stream and is shunted into the
lymphatic capillaries, then returns to the circulation by way of the
lymphatic system. Valves are present (like in veins) allowing only 1 way
flow.  All tissues of the body (except for the CNS, superficial skin, bones,
and peripheral nerves) have lymphatic channels that drain excess fluid
directly form the interstitial spaces. Thus this is a dynamic system with
constant circulation and flow.

 C. What does the lymphatic system do?
  1. Major route for absorption of nutrients from the GI tract.
  2. Carries toxins to the liver for storage and/or excretion
  3. Transfers large particles such as proteins from GI tract and bacteria
from bloodstream into lymphatic system.
II.   Role of lymphatic system in infection
 A. Inflammatory response
  1. When you get a cut and bacteria are present, your body's response is
called an inflammatory reaction. These "symptoms of an infection" include:
  Redness, pain, swelling, & heat
  2. What is the body doing and why?
   a. Redness is caused by increase blood flow to the area and chemicals. It
tells you when you look at it that something is wrong. This is mediated by a
histamine release by certain blood cells. If this histamine release is
widespread or systemic, then you get an allergic type reaction.

   b. Heat to the area helps kill bacteria, locally; if systemic, you
develop a fever.
   c. Swelling or edema - collection of lymph fluid in area, as the body
attempts to wall off infection, prevent spread of bacteria and toxins, bring
bacteria fighters to the area, and with pain, send distress signals to the
body.
Strept or other bacteria. A process called phagocytosis engulfs these "bad
guys".  They are then slowly carried off by the lymph system or sequestered
locally as pus or an abscess.  This is the process you see with a strept
throat, in which the person has pus or exudates on the tonsils, pain,
redness, and swelling. You also will find enlarged cervical lymph nodes
(palpate own nodes now), and if systemic, you get a fever. If untreated the
local symptoms subside, but the resultant toxins can cause heart or kidney
damage.

Page 1
III. Inflammatory response of the bladder in I.C.
 A. There is an excellent article by Dr. John Warren from which discusses IC
as an infection. This discusses this process in depth and is available from
the ICA or Kay Benton. (IC Information Center icickay at luna.moonstar.com)
  B. My own theory of how IC develops.
   UTI with gram (+) bacteria, treated with antibiotic for gram (-)
bacteria. Bacteria adhere to bladder wall and invade. Immune system tries to
fight. If unsuccessful, IC develops with bladder wall swollen, red, and
painful. Most treatments for IC treat just the symptoms:
  Antihistamines - Ditropan, Vitamin C - all reduce inflammation by blocking
histamine action.
  Anti-inflammatory - steroids, DMSO, Pyc - C, Advil,
  Bladder walls coatings- coat and mimic GAG layer of bladder wall -
Elmiron, marshmallow, aloe vera
 Reduction of symptoms is great if you are in pain, but we need to look at
long term healing and what body conditions have contributed to chronic
illness and providing a happy home for bacteria.

IV. Long term goal - eliminate infection, not just control symptoms
 A. Antibiotics - medical model - other talks discuss pros and cons
  1. problem with circulating antibiotics to interstitial spaces.
  2. bigger gun approach - colonization with other bacteria.
  3. carrier state
 B. Increase circulation to infected area (stagnant pond illustration)
  1. Castor oil packs
  2. Exercise - increases lymphatic circulation 5 - 15 x by pumping like
venous blood system. (Illustration of soda straw)
  3. Lymphatic massage
  4. Chiropractic adjustments
  5. Clean out GI tract
   a. Plaque buildup of old feces (process like atheroschlerosis), decreased
flow, poor absorption of nutrients, leaky-gut syndrome with food allergies,
poor production of lymphatic fluid, possible reduction in lymphatic function
in interstitial spaces.
   b. Colonics
   c. Liver Flush
   d. Arise and Shine program
 C. Boost body's own defenses - immune system
  1. Echinacea
  2. Ginseng
  3. H2O2 (hydrogen Peroxide)
  4. Good bowel bacteria
  5. DMG
  6. Diet (Raw Foods & organic meats)
  7. Thyroid hormone (also helps by increasing body temp)
  8. Vitamin supplementation  (Special IC protocol available form health
products distributors
  See Kay Benton. (Ic Information Center icickay at luna.moonstar.com
  At 1-800-758-1494 or  Dr Hank Liers 1-800-228-4265)

 D. Remove toxins from body (lifetime of garbage buildup)
  1. Chlorofresh (not mint)
  2. Flor-essence (Essiac tea)
  3. Detox teas
  4. Clay - internal and external
  5. Detox massages.
  6. Coffee enemas ( only if Bladder is in good shape )
  7. Colonics (also removes parasites that depress immune system)
  8. Arise & Shine program (1-800-688-2444) In Ca.

again. The traditional medical approach is the bigger and bigger gun
approach that is often aimed at controlling symptoms, not addressing root
causes. Multiple approaches are needed with this complex disease and tonight
I have been addressing only one of them. We are whole people - body, soul,
and spirit and our bodies are whole systems - each one related to the
others. You cannot just treat a bladder apart from the rest of the body or
separate the body from the soul and the spirit. Take care of and treat the
rest of you - not just your bladders.

Page 2