Dioxin Responsive Element (DRE)

David R Bell david.bell at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 22:43:38 EST 1997

On Mon, 29 Sep 97 22:38:21, David R Bell wrote:

:>This story isn't simple.
:>I understand that the story from several transgenic mice studies is that when
:>you put a DRE driving a promoter and reporter gene into mice, reporter gene
:>expression shows tissue- and developmental variation between mice, and is not
:>what you would necessarily expect. This is reminiscent of the classic studies
:>by Grosveld (and others) who demonstrated that globin is in a "locus control
:>region", where distant DNA elements regulate proximal enhancers.
:>
:>I believe Roly Wolf and Sandra Campbell have a CYP1A1 transgenic with a
:>massive amount of 5' sequence which shows highly regulated and consistent
:>expression. I think this is published.
:>
:>Thus the ability of a DRE to regulate a promoter is almost certain to be
:>under the regulation of yet other DNA elements.
:>david bell
:>
:>