POSSIBLE DOMINION SEMICONDUCTOR PIPELINE

Michael Ragland reformer4pw at webtv.net
Thu Aug 13 22:59:06 EST 1998

   I live in Prince William County, Virginia. Its INNOVATION at Prince
William in Manassas contains George Mason University branch campus,
IBM-Toshiba Dominion Semiconductor Plant, America Type Culture and
Lockheed Martin. Virginia and particularly Prince William County is
engaged in corporate welfare subsidy and plans on making Prince William
the Silicon Valley in Virginia.
   In Dominion Semiconductor Plant's master plan two more chip making
facilities could be built, the same size as the one which presently
exists. Currently, the Occoquan River is the recipient of Dominion's
waste treated water.
   Prince William County has been in negotiations with Dominion
regarding the possibility of a 26 mile pipeline that would carry
semiconductor waste water into the Potomac River, approximately 8
million gallons a day if Dominion's expansion occurs.
   After contacting the Silicon Valley Toxics Association I've learned
the semiconductor industry is anything but clean and that deregulation
hasn't helped watchdog IBM, Intel, etc. Furthermore, I've discovered
that some plants have a high rate of cancers among their workers and
that the industry has fought against unionization.
   My major concern is the possibility of having 8 million gallons of
Dominion's waste "treated" water flowing into the already polluted
Potomac River.
   Incidentally, Prince William County Government plans on building a
parkway from Occoquan to Quantico which would appear to facilitate to
some extent the "possible" installation of this pipeline.
   Anybody who reads this that is affiliated with environmental
organizations which deal with the hazards of industrial waste water in
rivers, please spread this information by word of mouth and writing
letters to newspapers, etc.
   Its true that none of these plans have materialized yet but it is
something that is being seriously considered by Dominion and Prince
William County. That very fact needs to be exposed and criticized NOW.

For the record my name is Michael Ragland