Mercury in erythrocytes

sean2 at rocketmail.com sean2 at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 9 02:23:34 EST 1998

Hello Lionel,

I'm no expert on mercury poisoning, just a layman who is looking for
answers too. Apparently the gold standard for seeing how much mercury
(Hg) is in your body is the DMPS (Dimaval) challenge test. DMPS is a
chelation agent that binds to the mercury in your body and allows it
to be excreted. The challenge test involves giving a urine sample,
then taking the DMPS, and then collecting your urine again for the
next 6 hours. The 'before and after' levels in the urine give an idea
of the body's Hg load.

You can get mercury from a number of sources, including seafood and
amalgam fillings.

Is your doctor giving you a chelation agent to help remove the Hg? I
know it  takes a long time for the Hg to leave your system, so be
patient. You might try finding a doc in the UK who is an expert in
heavy metal poisoning. There will certainly be some around and that
expertise will make a big difference in determing your Hg levels,
where it is coming from, and how to get rid of it.

-Good luck! , Sean