black widow antivenom

Jason C. Doss doss.7 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 23 21:05:46 EST 1998

I'm no toxicologist, but I can imagine at least one reason why an antivenom
may only be used once.  I would imagine that both the toxin and antitoxin
are proteins, and as such, would be capable of generating an immune
response.  Perhaps the antitoxin is capable of generating an anaphylactic
reaction, similar in nature to the reactions bee stings can elicit in some
people.  If this were the case, then repeated exposure to antitoxin would be
dangerous.