Eradication of cholera?

Lars Andrup andrup at internet.dk
Thu Jan 29 03:15:11 EST 1998

Dear PSB2

This is a very complex subject... Is it the eradication of the bacterium,
Vibrio cholerae, or the disease?

If its the last, you have to consider the possibility of horizontal DNA
transfer enabeling other microorganisms to cause similar diseases.

There has been, at least one, example that a E. coli was causing the
disease cholera... and it turned out that this coli-strain had acquired the
toxin(s) from the Vibrio and that the genes now reside on a plasmid in coli
(in Vibrio cholerae the toxins are chromosomally encoded).

In addition, in contrast to smallpox, the Vibrio cholera is not restricted
to humans and can survive and multiply in the environment.

Good luck

yours

Lars

--