butyl acrylate toxicity

Oliver Flint flinto at bms.com
Thu Nov 5 15:14:14 EST 1998

Note: Butyl acrylate vapor is irritating and damages the nasal epithelial
lining. In chronic studies in rats the vapor also damaged the corneal
epithelium. It is possible that the Highway Deparetment reacted
stronglybecause its workers were exposed to large quantities of an
irritating vapor. All the published reports suggest that BA is neither
mutagenic, clastogenic or carcinogenic. Nevertheless, chronic exposure to an
irritant that induces epithelial damage might be expected to lead to
hyperplasia and the distinct possibility of non-genotoxic carcinogenesis.
Presumably, however, this liquid was spilled in the open and has mostly
evaporated by now.

Oliver Flint