Searching for PhD in toxicology

Christopher Hatton (remove_this) "CDH8" at le.ac.uk
Wed Sep 9 13:00:19 EST 1998

Andrew Vladimirov wrote:

> I'm interested in getting PhD in toxicology, esp. in the fields of
> toxinology or neurotoxicology employing highly selective neurotoxins
>  AF64A, 6OHDA, etc., ).
> I expect to be graduated (Pharmacology with Toxicology BSc, King's College,
> University of London) with first or good second first degree next year. I

Well Andrew,

 I would keep your eyes peeled to the following places,

http://biomednet.com/jobs
(you'll need to sign up though)

http://www.newscientist.com/sciencejobs/sciencejobs.html
http://www.nature.com/
http://www.mrc.ac.uk/

finally if you fancy working in Germany you can't do much better than
get yourself over to Magdeburg south of Berlin

There is a rapidly growing and respected Neuroscience ..Otto von
Guericke Universitaet is predominantly Neuro-orientated Clinical and
applied science with a nice basic feel aswell.

http://www.med.uni-magdeburg.de/fme/Welcome_eng.html

http://www.med.uni-magdeburg.de/fme/gken/
this is the Neurobiology Graduate School home page, (In German though)

http://www.ifn-magdeburg.de/
where I worked, although the work would be looking at the effect of
neurotoxins on Learning and Memory

They do have a PhD place available now, but its probably not in
neurotoxins, looks like Ischaemia in vivo and with brain slices.

However word of Warning a German PhD is nothing like a UK based PhD
course. You'll have obligatory lectures and Practiacls, many in German
but some in English aswell.

There is also here in Leicester a Neuro-tox unit part of the
University/MRC Centre for Mechanisms of Human Toxicity.

I wouldn't worry there is a lot in that area coming up, although maybe
not with those specific neurotoxins.

The Karolinska instituet in Stockholm also has a Neuro-tox group,
After you have started your final year Honours Project I'd seriously
start sending off your CV.  Thats what I did, after I looked at GABA
receptors and various inhibitors.

Just make sure you get a good BSc. (Hons) 1st ideally.  The world will
become your Oyster as they say.

Good luck and you are at the right University for Pharmacology.
I started my BSc. there.

Christopher Hatton
PhD student
Immuno-Tox.