Question about Heavy Metals

arie at no.mail.thanks.nl arie at no.mail.thanks.nl
Tue Mar 9 02:31:20 EST 1999

On 8 Mar 1999 11:44:15 -0800, Sherry.Laughlin at METROKC.GOV ("Laughlin,
Sherry") wrote:

>Comparing lead and mercury is like comparing apples and oranges.  There are
>certainly concerns for both.  First, dental amalgams contain both mercury
>and silver.  Depending on the age and condition of the filling, if you grind
>your teeth regularly or if you have a particular sensitivity, the
>bioaccumulation and affect on individuals can greatly differ.  However
>eating mercury contaminated fish (methyl mercury) has been shown to be a
>significant contributor to mercury ingestion.

It also has been shown that not only grinding teeth from suspect
quality amalgam fillings has adverse health effects. It's sufficient
to have just normal amalgam fillings for these effects to occur.
Further, it's not only methyl mercury that's ingested by eating fish.
Also in mouth and GI tract methylation by local bateriae (and
ingestion) occurs of the mercury that leaks out of the amalgam
fillings in (on average) much higher quantities than that are ingested
by eating fish.