ACSH: PCB's cause cancer?

aerie aerie01 at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 15 10:17:20 EST 2000

Isn't it just as possible that PCBs have a role in promoting carcinogenesis,
rather than being complete carcinogens themselves?  We know that PCBs (and
certain congeners in particular) are very good at inducing the MFO system in
fish and laboratory mammals.  Since chemicals such as benzo(a)pyrene require
enzymatic transformation to achieve their carcinogenic potential, it may
well be that the presence of PCBs in the environment potentiates these sorts
of transformations.

Ann Schnitz, Ph.D.
GES Inc.