Transite piping

Antonio aq12 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 23 10:35:54 EST 2000

Does anyone in the group know if Transite pipe (used in furnace flues)
contains asbestos?  I thought they did but after some searching found that
some Transite material is sold as "asbestos free".

Finaly, I have been trying to get pictures of what friable asbestos would look
like.  The transite pipe in my apartment has on it what looks like scale
deposits.  Some water does seep through the pipe seams during heavy rains and
snowmelts.  I do not know if these "scales" are asbestos or deposits left
by the water (or amybe asbestos deposits left by the water).

Thanks

---