FAQ for bionet.toxicology

Chuck Miller rellim at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Wed Jan 5 17:01:25 EST 2000

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Bionet.Toxicology News Group

1. How do I participate in the Bionet.Toxicology News Group?

The simple way to participate is by using a web browser such as Netscape
Navigator or MS Explorer via the Internet. The web site is
http://www.bio.net/hypermail/TOXICOLOGY.

It is also possible to use e-mail to receive postings to the tox news group.
For detailed instructions on subscribing and unsubscribing to e-mail list
servers, how to post messages, what subject matter is appropriate, network
etiquette, and other topics, see the Bionet web site at http://www.bio.net,
or contact BIOSCI by e-mail at biosci-help at net.bio.net.

2. How do I find information about a particular toxic agent?

There are a multitude of on-line resources that can provide you with useful
toxicological information. For starters try these:
a.) Search the Bionet.Toxicology Archive of previous postings via the web
site (http://www.bio.net/hypermail/TOXICOLOGY).
b.) Medline literature searches (free!) from the U. S. National Center for
Biotechnology Information/National Library of Medicine:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
c.) Search the databases at the major governmental agencies....
http://www.nih.gov
http://www.niehs.nih.gov
http://www.nci.nih.gov
http://www.iarc.fr
http://www.epa.gov
http://www.cdc.gov
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/homepage.html
Of particular interest is http://atsdr1.atsdr.cdc.gov:8080/atsdrhome.html
http://www.osha.gov
http://www.nsf.gov
Low Level Effects of Toxic Agents: http://www.belleonline.com./
Environmental Concepts Made Easy:
http://www1.omi.tulane.edu/ECME/default.html

Society/Organization Web Sites:
http://www.toxicology.org
http://www.bts.org/toxicology/
http://www.setac.org/
http://www.uta.fi/eurotox/
http://www/ciit.com

3. Are there any general collections of toxicology-related web sites?

One great collection of tox-related information is the Hardin Meta-Directory
for Toxicology http://www.arcade.uiowa.edu/hardin-www/md-tox.html.

4. Are there any resources related to education in toxicology?

For career information on toxicology: http://www.toxicology.org/guide1.html
Check out Peterson¹s Guide for educational programs:
http://www.petersons.com/