Intl. Tox. Est. of Risk database update

Paul Rogers consult at imagic.com.au
Thu Jan 27 21:20:08 EST 2000

Intl. Tox. Est. of Risk database updateI tried this database using
tetrachloroethylene (perc) as a random selection. I would suggest that it is
currently deficient on cancer risk assessment.

The following is reported in the ITER database:

"Health Canada and ATSDR have evaluated the carcinogenicity data for
tetrachloroethylene. Health Canada classified tetrachloroethylene as Group
IV - unlikely to be carcinogenic in humans. ATSDR does not currently assess
cancer potency or perform cancer risk assessments." (The Health Canada
cancer assessment is not dated.)

The ITER database does not include IARC evaluation which has the following
assessment:

"There is limited evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of
tetrachloroethylene. There is sufficient evidence in experimental animals
for the carcinogenicity of tetrachloroethylene. Tetrachloroethylene is
probably carcinogenic to humans (Group 2A)."

Also the NTP 8th Annual Report on Carcinogens lists perc as "reasonably
anticipated to be a human carcinogen", based on animal data and human
epidemiology.
On balance, I would suggest that the current database in this respect, is
inaccurate. I would need more assurance that the science reflected in this
project is rigorous.

Paul Rogers

"Chuck Miller" <rellim at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> wrote in message
news:200001271627.KAA08034 at majestic.tcs.tulane.edu...
International Toxicity Estimates for Risk (ITER) Database Expands
(http://www.tera.org/iter)

Toxicology Excellence for Risk Assessment (TERA) and Concurrent
Technologies Corporation (CTC) announce a major expansion of the
International Toxicity Estimates for Risk (ITER) database, found on the
Internet at http://www.tera.org/iter .  ITER now contains 545 chemicals,
including data and links to all of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA)'s Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) risk values.  It also
includes all of the Health Canada risk values under the Canadian
Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) that are currently available, and
many of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry's (ATSDR)
chronic minimal risk levels (MRLs).  Fourteen independently developed
values that have undergone peer review are also included on ITER.  These
are found no where else.
<SNIP>