CPSC Comments Needed by 6/12 re: Lead in Candles - and a personal request

Rkfabf at aol.com Rkfabf at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 13:26:41 EST 2000

Hello Bionet.Toxicology News Group Subscribers:

As you may have heard by now Public Citizen & Health Research Group has
filed a petition to issue a legally mandatory ban  & recall on the use of
lead in candle wicks.  I'm hoping to enlist your help by submitting your
comments in writing in support of enacting a mandated ban of lead in any &
all candles made or sold in the U.S.   This is an action that is long
overdue, necessary & attainable - but the deadline on June 12th is quickly
approaching.  If  you are active in other environmental & public health
advocacy lists or groups or keep in contact with people that would support
this  - it would be so appreciated if you could circulate this with some of
the groups you associate with.  The petition needs all the support that can
possibly be brought together.  This is truly a case of every letter counts or
they will & fully intend to sweep this again right under the rug with another
 unenforceable, voluntary and basically meaningless, ban, clearly this is not
in the best interests or the safety and welfare of consumers, their families
& especially their children or even the "hands-on" candle makers themselves.
[The industry & their trade association are pushing for a more lax voluntary
action rather than mandatory ban.].

This was an issue back in 1973 & 1974 & should have been taken care of then
but in spite of the EPA Administrator at the time urging a mandatory ban...a
voluntary ban was approved and then not complied with or even monitored.  The
EPA study that Mr. Train references was performed in 1974 & determined that -

 "Burning only two candles three hours each day on a regular basis in the
home could increase exposure to airborne lead by a factor of 5 or more. This
exposure to lead from candles could equal or exceed the exposure to airborne
lead associated with the busiest freeways in America." [keep in mind this was
a time when leaded gasoline was still fairly commonplace]. "Inhabitants of
homes in which lead wick candles are burned could be exposed to substantial
incremental quantities of lead which, if continued on a regular basis would
pose a significantly high risk to health especially among children."  Mr.
Train goes on to say: "In my opinion candles represent an unnecessary
incremental source of lead that can readily be controlled. It is my strong
recommendation that the Consumer Product Safety Commission do all in it's
power to prevent exposure to the substantial and unnecessary source of lead
in candles."

 To read the complete copy of the referenced letter & other related
documents* go to: <A
HREF="http://www.fiscorp.net/iaq/docs/">http://www.fiscorp.net/iaq/docs/</A>
* These are all copies of documents from 1973 & 1974.

If you would like to read more on the current pending petitions, these 2
links will fill you in on the details:

 <A HREF="http://www.citizen.org/hrg/PUBLICATIONS/1510.htm">Petition to ban
lead candles</A> [http://www.citizen.org/hrg/PUBLICATIONS/1510.htm]

 <A HREF="http://www.citizen.org/press/pr-sid29.htm">Millions of Dangerous
Candles Sold Throughout U.S.; Lead Wicks Pose Major  Health & Safety Hazard,
Especially to Children</A>
[http://www.citizen.org/press/pr-sid29.htm]

At any rate, the CPSC is taking comments from the public regarding this
proposal until June 12th.  It's unbelievable that in the year 2000 we even
need a petition & comment period to ban an insidious poison consumers may
be unwittingly releasing into their homes & attempt to fix an erroneous
policy on lead in candles from 26 years ago.  But the fact remains that's
where we stand now.  I hope I can count on your participation  in  submitting
comments, possibly even encourage like minded individuals to submit comments
as well by sending this out to the other groups & individuals to which you
are a member or have affiliations with.

The address where comments need to be sent:

 <A HREF="http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr00/wicks.html">Petition HP
00-3 Requesting a Ban of Candle Wicks Containing Lead and of Candles
Containing Such Wicks</A> - Comments accepted until 6/12/00
[http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr00/wicks.html]

ADDRESSES: Comments on the petition should be sent to:

E-Mail to: <A HREF="mailto:cpsc-os at cpsc.gov">cpsc-os at cpsc.gov</A>

With the subject heading: "Petition HP 00-3--Candle Wicks
Containing Lead."

Office of the Secretary
Consumer Product Safety Commission
Washington, DC  20207
telephone (301) 504-0800

OR delivered to:
Office of the Secretary, Consumer Product Safety Commission
room 502, 4330 East-West Highway
Bethesda, Maryland 20814.

Comments may also be filed by
Fax (301) 504-0127

Comments should be captioned ``Petition HP 00-3--Candle Wicks
Containing Lead.''

Please be sure to CC the following addresses:

<A HREF="mailto:SWOLFE at citizen.org">SWOLFE at citizen.org</A>,
<A HREF="mailto:plurie at citizen.org">plurie at citizen.org</A>,
<A HREF="mailto:RKFABF at aol.com">RKFABF at aol.com</A>

My heartfelt appreciation to those who take the time to respond in support of
this petition.  I will keep the membership apprised of the petition's
progress.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you have any unanswered questions
pertaining to the petition or the issue in general.

  Regards -
  Cathy Flanders
  IAQ List Manager & Moderator
  E-Mail: <A HREF="mailto:iaq-owner at onelist.com">iaq-owner at onelist.com </A>