Inbreeding

Charles Miller rellim at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Fri Jun 16 10:00:01 EST 2000

Hi Adam,

You wrote...

> I was wondering if there is any information what
> sort if information is out there concerning the use of inbred stocks of
> fish in toxicology. Does the use of highly inbred stains of model
> organisms (ie zebrafish, medaka) effect its response to toxins and may
> therefore influence these toxicity studies on these fish. Thanks for
> any information you may give.

I was not aware that the zebrafish and Medaka were typically  "highly
inbred". People in the labs here at Tulane U. who maintain zebrafish and
Medaka colonies typically obtain them from Carolina Biological and other
suppliers. They breed the fish and continue to obtain new fish. In other
words, they make no effort to select for any phenotypic traits as they
propagate the fish and conduct experiments. So I would say that these
strains are not highly inbred in comparison to mice or rat strains. If you
are talking about genetically engineered strains of fish then this is
obviously not the case; they are highly inbred.

Of course, reducing genetic variability in a population (by inbreeding) is
likely to restrict the range of toxic responses. Have you obtained different
batches of fish and observed variable results? If so, you should be able to
crossbreed the new fish with fish from previous experiments and determine if
the trait (toxicity?) is genetically dominant or recessive.

---