dichlorophenoxy (Acetic Acid)

GMacbeth gmacbeth at scatteredclouds.ca
Sat Mar 11 17:31:53 EST 2000

In article <TpBx4.56983$632.2150522 at news1.rdc2.on.home.com>, "Daniel" <danielchai at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Can someone tell me something about  Acetic Acid, thanks.....

 I hope this is either a troll or a homework question as the poster seems to
think acetic acid and the dichlorophenoxy derivative are the same thing.

        Dilute solutions of acetic acid are sold under the name "vinegar"
(regular, pickling and various gourmet formats).  Vinegar is edible.
Concentrated acetic acid (often called "glacial" acetic acid) is not edible -
it can give severe burns to skin and mucous membranes. There are lots of
interesting facts available about acetic acid in its various concentrations -
look them up yourself or ask a more specific question.

        If, on the other hand, you want to know about dichlorophenoxyacetic
acid, try looking up "2,4-D".  It is commonly (alas) used as a broadleaf
herbicide (won't kill grasses at normal concentrations, will kill dandelions).
2,4-D is a synthetic auxin - ie it works by mimicking a plant growth chemical
and causes abnormal growth which soon kills the plant.  There are many, many
web sites that deal with various aspects of 2,4-D use, toxicology and
environmental persistance.  Keep it away from foodstuffs, children, pets and
any broadleaved plants that you are fond of.   HTH "GM"
        Hmm -  try looking up "Agent Orange" as well. "GM"
---