Stachybotrys, mycotoxins, the CDC

Daniel Lee Sudakin sudakind at email.msn.com
Wed Mar 29 00:34:14 EST 2000

Stachybotrys and toxigenic fungi have become a highly controversial
environmental health issue.  In the past two weeks, the CDC published the
results of an internal review of controversial data they published in 1997
suggesting an association between exposure to Stachybotrys and pulmonary
hemorrhage among infants.  In their review, they identified many limitations
in the study design, collection, and interpretation of data.  They have
concluded that the association was not present.  Despite this recent
publication, there has been a great deal of misinformation propagated
through the media and internet.  I have attached a link to the CDC report,
which gives a good background to anyone who has encountered this issue.  I
have also linked an article I composed which reviews the controversial
epidemiology that surrounds Stachybotrys and mycotoxins.  You can link to
the CDC site at:
http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4909a3.htm

And to the review article at:  (the Medscape requires one-time registration,
which is free)
http://hiv.medscape.com/Medscape/GeneralMedicine/journal/2000/v02.n01/mgm022
9.suda/mgm0229.suda.html

I hope these resources are helpful.