Chemical safety question . . .

Tock Tock at ticnet.com
Sun May 7 09:42:25 EST 2000

I finally persuaded the dept. head at work to move the 5 gallon can of waste
HMDS (msds here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/h2066.htm ) from the fume hood
to a bona fide chemical cabinet.   She had it put in a cabinet full of
deionized water and alcohol.
  When I went to work last night, I took a look at everything, and something
didn't seem right; I checked the msds sheet and it says:
  "Incompatibilities:  Water, methyl alcohol, acids, strong alkalis, and
oxidizing agents. "
My boss put it in another chemical cabinet already assigned to hold HMDS,
and everything is kosher as of right now.
My question is, what does that line marked "Incompatibilities" mean?  That
nasty things happen when they mix, or only that they don't mix (like oil &
water) very well?    Can anyone venture a guess what could have happened if
things had started to leak?

Thanks,
--Tock