invitation for abstracts to a special session of the SETAC meeting in Madrid.

Carlos Barata cb5 at stir.ac.uk
Mon Nov 6 15:47:31 EST 2000

As you may be aware, SETAC Europe is holding its next annual meeting from
6-10 May, 2001, in Madrid, Spain. I am organizing a special session at the
meeting on '1C Toxicity tests: incorporating ecological relevance in
toxicity test designs minimising cost.' (see attached). I am sure that you
will agree that this is an important area that will attract a lot of interest.

In line with the usual SETAC approach we are inviting a number of keynote
speakers to provide the important anchors for the proceedings.  I want to
invite you to be one of these speakers.  The attached description indicates
the topics that we want to address, and we would be happy to have a paper
from you on any aspect of these topics.

SETAC policy requires that all papers are no more than 20 minutes long, and
currently visual aides have to be 35 mm slides.  Although SETAC does not
have a budget to cover any expenses for invited speakers, we hope that this
invitation will help you to get funding from other sources.

The programme would greatly benefit from your participation and so I hope
that you will give this invitation your serious consideration.  It would
also be extremely good to meet you in Madrid and to have an opportunity to
swap notes on matters of mutual interest.

Abstracts should be submitted before the 30 November 2000.
Best regards

Scope of the session:

SETAC Europe 2001, 6-10 May, Madrid, Spain

Special Double Session
1C: Toxicity tests: incorporating ecological relevance in toxicity test
designs minimising cost. Chair: C. Barata, V. Forbes
5A: Assessing and predicting toxicant effects in an ecologically complex
world. Chaiman: V. Forbes, P.Calow

We are driven to the standardization of ecotoxicity tests by legal and
regulatory requirements, yet we all feel concern that this takes us further
and further away from the systems we are trying to protect.  This dilemma is
at the heart of ecological risk assessment and has important implications
for the risk management that arises from it. Can this dilemma be resolved?
We are organizing a special double session at the Madrid SETAC Europe
Meeting to discuss and debate this important issue.

As our understanding of the effects of chemicals and chemical mixtures on
complex biological systems improves, both the endpoints used in tests and
the statistical methods used to characterize them need to be continuously
re-evaluated. Test designs that attempt to control and simplify biotic
(e.g., genetic variability) and abiotic (e.g., food quality and quantity)
conditions are easier to replicate. But do they give biased results? And if
so, is the bias more likely to be over- rather than under-protective?
Further development of cost-effective tests and improvements in overall
efficiency of testing strategies is necessary to maintain risk assessment as
a viable tool for chemical legislation and control. By drawing together
experts from academia, industry and government this session seeks to address
these issues, setting the stage for the next generation of testing
strategies.  Two back-to-back sessions will be organized to emphasize the
following main themes: 1) cost-effectiveness and development of novel
approaches for testing in the context of risk assessment, and 2) challenges
and solutions for dealing with ecological complexity in the assessment and
prediction of toxicant effects. Invited presentations by leading scientists
will be chosen to represent the views of academia, industry and government,
but contributed oral presentations and posters are welcome.

If you would like to propose a presentation for the session or would like to
find out more, please contact one of the session organizers: Carlos Barata
(cb5 at stir.ac.uk), Valery Forbes (vforbes at ruc.dk).

	CARLOS BARATA
	ACTUAL POSITION
	RESEARCH FELLOW
	INSTITUTE OF AQUACULTURE, UNIVERSITY OF STIRLING
	FK9 4LA, SCOTLAND, UK
	FAX. : (01786)	472133 -
    	PH :	 	467874 -
	email cb5 at forth.stir.ac.uk