PSR: "Drinking Water and Disease: What Health Care Providers Should Know"

Gary Greenberg Gary.Greenberg at Duke.Edu
Mon Nov 27 23:16:01 EST 2000

Physicians for Social Responsibility:

> Understanding that nuclear war continues to be the most acute threat
> to human life and the global biosphere, PSR reaffirms its commitment of
> nearly forty years to the elimination of nuclear weapons and the
> reversal of the arms race and the national budgetary priorities
> which fuel that race, sacrificing our nation's health, social
> and economic needs.
>
> With a reduction in East-West tensions, PSR sees a chance for our
> nation to address more insidious environmental threats to human
> survival, such as global warming, ozone depletion, toxic chemicals,
> and the world population explosion.
>
> Recognizing that neglect of social problems and emphasis on
> militarism has resulted in a crisis of societal violence, PSR also
> seeks to reverse our domestic arms race and to encourage ways of
> finding peaceful solutions to interpersonal and local disputes, as
> well as international conflicts.

http://www.psr.org/dwater.html

Available now! PSR's "Drinking Water and Disease: What Health Care
Providers Should Know" This 24-page resource answers many questions
commonly posed to health professionals about drinking water.

It is available in Adobe pdf format http://www.psr.org/dwprimer.pdf, and
copies are available by mail from PSR. Call 202.898.0150 or contact us
by email to request a copy.

= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

>From the introduction to the document:

Drinking Water and Disease

WHAT HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS SHOULD KNOW.

A FIRST-TIME MOTHER isn ’t sure if she is supposed to boil water for her
newborn and asks you to explain the pros and cons to her.(See page 16)

.A PREGNANT LAWYER asks “Should I be limiting my exposure to those
disinfection byproducts I read about in the paper last week?” (See page
18)

.AN ACCOUNTANT has just received his Consumer Confidence Report
(CCR)from his water utility and wants you to tell him whether or not he
could be getting cancer from chemicals in his water.(See page 9)

Why You Need To Know About Drinking Water

Your patients trust you to have up-to-date informa- tion on waterborne
disease and a good understand- ing of the problem.A recent national
survey re- vealed that consumers are concerned about the qual- ity of
their tap water,and that they trust their health care providers to give
them reliable information. This survey of 2000 adults,conducted by
National Environmental Education &Training Foundation/ Roper,1 found the
following:

.THREE OUT OF FOUR adults expressed concern about the quality and safety
of their drinking water,with more than one third saying they are “very
concerned.”

.ALMOST A QUARTER of the people surveyed do not drink water straight
from the tap because of aesthetic or health concerns.

.FOUR IN 10 AMERICANS are dissatisfied with the information they
currently receive about the quality and safety of their tap water.(Most
of the information they receive comes from TV, radio,and news media).

.HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS are the most trusted, but the least used source
of information on drinking water quality and safety.

With the new CCRs being distributed by water utili- ties,your patients
will have more information,and probably more questions about drinking
water and their health. This primer will help you provide the answers.

This document addresses the following key questions about drinking water
and health:

.How Big is the Problem? 2

.What Are the Microbial Contaminants of Greatest Concern? 4

.What Are the Chemical Contaminants of Greatest Concern? 7

.How Does Drinking Water Get Contaminated? 11

.How Is Drinking Water Treated? 12

.How Should You Counsel Patients, and Which Patients Are Most
Susceptible? 13

.What Is a Consumer Confidence Report? 14

.What Are the Alternatives to Tap Water? 18

.What Actions Can Health Care Providers Take? 20

--
Gary N. Greenberg, MD MPH    Sysop / Moderator Occ-Env-Med-L MailList
gary.greenberg at duke.edu     Duke Occupat, Environ, Int & Fam Medicine

---