FW: LEAD Story - in the headlines

Charles Miller rellim at tulane.edu
Sun Feb 4 11:01:15 EST 2001

Hello All -

There is a story on the MSNBC website about lead emissions from candles that
discusses the prospect of a ban on the use of lead in candles & the Public
Citizen petition to the CPSC.  It also details some of the ill effects our
family & especially our son has suffered from burning lead wick candles.

•  <A HREF="http://www.msnbc.com/news/523325.asp">MSNBC - Candles: a burning
controversy</A>
http://www.msnbc.com/news/523325.asp

This article was written by Francesca Lyman, the MSNBC Environment Reporter
& she contacted me this morning to inform me that it rated in MSNBC's Top
Ten news stories.  At the time of this message it is the top story on the
MSN home page.  The issue of avoiding & eliminating lead exposures to
children seems to be one of great concern & interest to the public &
hopefully this story will help to focus additional  attention to the ill
effects of persistent lead and what we can do about it.

The postings that I've read on their bulletin board have been heartening &
for the most part fully endorsing a ban on the use of lead in this product.
People are truly outraged that lead is still being used in a consumer
product after all the information that we are aware of regarding it's
devastating effects.

• <A HREF="http://bbs.msnbc.com/bbs/msnbc-health/index.asp">MSNBC Health
Board
</A>
http://bbs.msnbc.com/bbs/msnbc-health/index.asp

Personally I'd like to see this turn into something positive towards
enacting a ban, educating parents & consumers & it  looks like it's heading
that way.

I want to thank all of the people that I've become acquainted on the net
over  the last few years on these Listservs that have so generously shared
their knowledge & resources, your assistance has been crucial & invaluable
and above all much appreciated ;c)

[* Please forgive any duplicate posts]

Regards -
  Cathy Flanders