Dichloroethyl aluminium poisoning

ConnieD. no_spam_thanks at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 30 22:07:24 EST 2001


RE: Dichloroethyl aluminium poisoningMany thanks for your information. Our
son is feeling a little better and we are working with a toxicologist on
this matter. Thank you for your good wishes and concerns, We pray that he
will make a full recovery. Regards ConnieD.(UK)

"Watson, Taylor" <Sherry.Laughlin at METROKC.GOV> wrote in message
news:C0100CA215DCD311BB7B00805FA7E01203439B2A at kcmail3.metrokc.gov...
I am so sorry to hear about your son's situation.  I am assuming that the
physician you are working with is one with an occupational exposure
background.  If not, you may want to contact an occupational health clinic
even though your son did not receive his exposure as part of an industrial
accident.  Occupational clinics deal with this sort of thing unfortunately
all the time.  They may have additional resources or information for you to
look at.  You can also ask them for a Material Safety Data Sheet. The
chemical abstract number for dichloroethylaluminum is 563-43-9.  On that it
can tell you some of what the hazards and human health issues and toxicity
of dichloroethylaluminum, treatment for an acute exposure such as your sons
and what long-term chronic effects may be.  It certainly won't tell you
everything you need to know but may be a starting point for information.
Taylor Watson
Health and Environmental Investigator
King County Hazardous Waste Management Program
-----Original Message-----
From: ConnieD. [mailto:no_spam_thanks at btinternet.com]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 10:22 AM
To: bionet-toxicology at moderators.isc.org
Subject: Dichloroethyl aluminium poisoning




This may have already been posted here on my behalf, sorry if it is a
double, but the other hasn't showed up via my server.
>From a franticically worried Mom.............
Any doctors/chemists on board please.
 Just heard that our 29 year old son was poisoned with Dichloroethyl
aluminum on Sunday last. Bloods are being taken daily to monitor the
reductions,at present 17 times higher than recommened dosage ( sorry, don't
know the
regular dosage for a 6'4" lad)
 Symptoms at present,
Vomiting,
Headaches,
Cramps to spine, neck, head, and chest,
Difficulities breathing,
Unproductive cough,
Fever,
Tremors,
Pain to most parts of his body.
Photosensitivity,
Loss of vison ( returning)
Blurred vision,
Loose motions,
Treatment:
Rest, anti-nausea tablets, blood tests, oxygen. No food, can't drink unless
he vomits afterwards. ( No pain killers at the present time as these could
aggrevate the toxins already in his body)
What is the long term prognosis as regards getting this toxin out of his
system please, are there likely to be any long term effects, and is there
anything else we can do to help him?
I have been told to ask our local fire dept which I will do, and also a
suggestion of a hyperbaric chamber (sp) being used to help him.
This came about from removing kitchen tiles that had been stuck onto a
concrete floor by the previous owners. He was subjected to the gases from
heating up the adheasive for approx 6 hours in total with a blower specially
designed for the job. This additive was used in glue back in the 1970's.
Extremely concerned and on my way up to see him at home in a short time. He
is classed as a primary care patient at the present meaning that a doctor
will come out as soon as he is called, with a view to re-hospitalizing him
again if need be.
Thanks in advance for any information you are able to help with.
ConnieD.





More information about the Toxicol mailing list