Is it safe to burn Benzoin incense ?

maison.mousse maison.mousse at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 20 14:40:21 EST 2002

Pierre Digravecci a écrit dans le message ...
>Hi all.
>
>I have recently bought bits of Siam Benzoin in an incense shop. The
>last time I have burnt some, it soon became impossible to breathe
>inside the room, as this thing were producing an incredibly irritating
>smoke. Afterwards I noticed a large amount of (beautiful) white
>crysallic deposit under the metallic lid of my burner.
>
>This was the second time I was burning this incense. There were no
>crystal deposit the first time and the smoke was quite normal.
>
>My questions are:
>- What are those white crystals ?
>- Are there special conditions for this chemical reaction to happen ?
>- Can I safely go on burning this incense ? I have read on a
>toxicology report that chemical Benzoin is commonly used in inhalants
>as an expectorant and antiseptic. But a few lines further they say
>that it may be harmful by ingestion, inhalation or skin absorption.
>
>Can someone enlighten me on this ?
>
>Thanks !

chemical Benzoin is a different product than Siam Benzoin
Common Name: BENZOIN
EINECS No.: 204-331-3
CAS Registry No: 119-53-9
Chem. Name: 2-Hydroxy-1,2-diphenyl-ethanone.
I have no idea of what the white crystal would be!!
 In EEC counties "Gum Benzoin, Siam" use is restricted for use in cosmetics
or perfume
towit:
THE SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE ON COSMETIC PRODUCTS AND NON-FOOD PRODUCTS
INTENDED FOR CONSUMERS

Common Name: STYRAX TONKINENSE RESIN EXTRACT
EINECS No.: 232-556-7
CAS Registry No: 9000-72-0
Chem. Name: “Gum Benzoin, Siam”. Extract obtained from the balsamic resin of
the plant, Styrax
tonkinense, Styracaceae. It may contain resin acids and their esters,
terpenes, and
oxidation or polymerisation products of these terpenes.
Restrictions: The final concentration of Styrax extracts or distillates
(resinoids, absolutes, oils)
from exudates shall not exceed 0.6 % in the finished product.

Laboratoire Maison Mousse