BCERF eUpdate December 2004

Ellen Hartman eh79 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 9 22:16:57 EST 2004

WELCOME to the eUpdate for the Program on Breast Cancer and
Environmental Risk Factors (BCERF). This update is provided by BCERF
to inform our sponsors and supporters of changes and additions to our
web site. Thank you for your interest in our program and web site.

Web site: http://envirocancer.cornell.edu

Program on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors (BCERF)
Now part of the Sprecher Institute for Comparative Cancer Research
(Cornell University)

WE NEED YOUR INPUT!   BCERF is in the midst of a complete revamp of
our  web site. We've posted a short (8 question) survey
http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/evaluation.cfm. Please take a few
minutes to send us your  feedback on what you like and how we can
improve. Ellen Hartman, the BCERF web writer, wants to hear your
ideas--no matter how big or small. Contact her at eh79 at cornell.edu or
607-253-3805.

TWO NEW FACT SHEETS

Ionizing Radiation and Breast Cancer Risk
Everyone is exposed to ionizing radiation from natural and medical
sources. The female breast is known to be highly susceptible to the
cancer-causing effects of radiation when exposure occurs before
menopause. This fact sheet examines what is known about
radiation-induced breast cancer and what factors influence or modify
the risks of exposure. Read "Ionizing Radiation and Breast Cancer
Risk" at
http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/factsheet/physical/fs52.radiation.pdf.

Understanding Breast Cancer Risk and Risk Factors Associated with Breast Cancer
Many aspects of women's diets and lifestyles have been studied for
their effect on increasing or decreasing the risk of breast cancer.
This fact sheet examines the concept of risk, and how it is used in
epidemiological studies to define risk factors. It also reviews
breast cancer risk factors for the strength of the evidence
supporting their association with breast cancer risk. Read
"Understanding Breast Cancer Risk and Risk Factors Associated with
Breast Cancer" at
http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/FactSheet/Diet/fs49.BCrisk.pdf.

STAFF MEMBERS JOIN BCERF   Maggie Carey, an environmental health
educator, and Ellen Hartman, a staff science writer, joined the BCERF
team this fall. We updated the pages for all BCERF staff and would
like to invite you to stop by and see who we are. To view staff bios,
go to http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/staff/staff.cfm

NURSES GET ANCC APPROVED CONTACT HOUR CREDIT   Receive American
Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) approved contact hour credit for
completing a learning module based on Suzanne Snedeker's lecture,
"Environmental Chemicals and Breast Cancer Risk." The learning module
is on the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN)
web site. Click here to learn more
http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Presentations/Presentations.cfm.
(Note: Credit is only available for the learning module on the AAOHN
web site. If you view the presentation on the BCERF web site, you
will not receive credit.)

READ SUMMARY OF THE FALL CANCER AND ENVIRONMENT FORUM   On October
29, 2004, BCERF held its autumn Cancer and Environment Forum in New
York City, at the offices of Cornell Cooperative Extension. About 35
participants joined in a day of presentation and discussion, covering
themes of comparative cancer models and the newly established Breast
Cancer and Environment Research Centers. A full summary is available
at http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Program/minutes/adhocOct04.cfm.

BCERF strives to provide information on environmental risk factors
and the risk of breast cancer and other hormonally dependent cancers.
We provide information in a variety of forms helping our readers make
informed decisions for the reduction of breast cancer risk.

If you no longer wish to receive the eUpdate please notify the list manager.
Email eh79 at cornell.edu. Type "remove from eUpdate" in the subject line.

If you know of someone who might like to receive the eUpdate, ask
them to email the list manager, Ellen Hartman at eh79 at cornell.edu.
Include "add to eUpdate" in the subject line.

BCERF / Cornell University
Vet Box 31
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853-6401