[Toxicology] BCERF eUpdate March 2006

Ellen Hartman eh79 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 30 09:23:25 EST 2006

WELCOME to the eUpdate for the Program on Breast Cancer and
Environmental Risk Factors (BCERF). This update is provided by BCERF
to inform our sponsors and supporters of changes and additions to our
web site. Thank you for your interest in our program and web site.

Web site: http://envirocancer.cornell.edu

Program on Breast Cancer and Evironmental Risk Factors
The Sprecher Institute for Comparative Cancer Research, Cornell University

1. SENATOR HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON VISITS BCERF
On March 3, 2006, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton met with BCERF staff
who provided an overview of the program and our current research and
education efforts. Clinton also heard about collaborations between
the Sprecher Institute for Comparative Cancer Research, Roswell Park
Cancer Institute, and the Cayuga Medical Center. A picture of Senator
Clinton and Dr. Rodney Page, Director of the Sprecher Institute and a
link to a press release about the visit are on our home page
<http://envirocancer.cornell.edu>.

2. THE RIBBON WINTER 2006: RISK PERCEPTIONS: TEACHERS AND BREAST
CANCER; AND INDUCED ABORTION AND BREAST CANCER RISK
The most recent edition of The Ribbon features a collaborative
research  project exploring the knowledge and perceptions of breast
cancer risk among teachers (a group known to have higher breast
cancer incidence), a research commentary on induced abortion and the
risk of breast cancer, and an article about identifying credible
health information on the web. The Ribbon is available on our
newsletter page <http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/newNL.cfm>.

3. TEACHERS' RISK PERCEPTION STUDY UPDATES
New on the BCERF web site is information about the ongoing research
into the knowledge and perceptions of breast cancer risk among
teachers. This study is the subject of the feature article in the
most recent issue of  The Ribbon. For more information about the
study and links to additional resources, see our new page
<http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/BCEResearch/Teachers.cfm/>

4. OBESITY AND OVERWEIGHT INTERVENTION PLANNING
The BCERF project, Building Capacity to Address Obesity to Reduce
Breast Cancer Risk in Rural Communities: An Environmental Approach,
provides tools and strategies for communities to use in a
comprehensive, integrated approach to obesity prevention. A Guide for
Custom Community Intervention Planning has been added to  our web
site. See the project overview and links to the guide at
<http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/BCEResearch/obesity.cfm/>.

5. SAVE THE DATE FOR THE CANCER AND ENVIRONMENT FORUM

Friday, June 2, 2006  from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Gaylord-Cary Room, Research Study Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Buffalo, New York

The Forum topics will include Women, the Workplace and Cancer Risk;
Exposure Scenarios for Mammary Carcinogens; Using Genetics to Clarify
Relationships between Cancer and Environment; and a panel discussion
on Emerging Science on Breast Cancer and Environment.

Complete agenda available on the BCERF web site. Check our Cancer and
Environment Forum page
http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/program/meetings.cfm.

To register for the cancer forum:
RSVP to Carmi Orenstein at (607) 255-1185 or cso1 at cornell.edu.

BCERF strives to provide information on environmental risk factors
and the risk of breast cancer and other hormonally dependent cancers.
We provide information in a variety of forms helping our readers make
informed decisions for the reduction of breast cancer risk.

If you no longer wish to receive the eUpdate please notify the list manager.
Email eh79 at cornell.edu. Type "remove from eUpdate" in the subject line.

If you know of someone who might like to receive the eUpdate, ask
them to email the list manager, Ellen Hartman at eh79 at cornell.edu.
Include "add to eUpdate" in the subject line.

BCERF / Cornell University
Vet Box 31
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853-6401