[Toxicology] BCERF eUpdate Special Request

Ellen Hartman via toxicol%40net.bio.net (by eh79 from cornell.edu)
Tue Feb 20 15:32:51 EST 2007

BCERF needs your help in rallying support from New York State representatives to restore our funding in the state budget. BCERF's current and planned efforts on cancer risks of chemicals in the home, workplace, and community are in jeopardy.

Since 1996 BCERF's scientists and educators have evaluated how environmental chemicals affect the risk of breast cancer and translated this into lay language. BCERF provides education and outreach through their quarterly newsletter, The Ribbon, fact sheets, educational handouts, their web site, in databases, and in workshops. All this and more will be lost unless funding is restored.

HELP BCERF by calling or sending an email, letter, or fax to New York State Senator Carl Marcellino or New York State Senator Mary Lou Rath. We've included sample letters and contact information for both legislators below. Time is short, so please send your letters in the next 48 hours, if possible.

With your support, BCERF looks forward to continuing our mission to reduce risk of breast cancer by supporting sound decision making at personal and public levels.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact BCERF at:
BCERF
Cornell University
Vet Box 31, College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, NY 14853-6401
Phone: (607) 253-3468
Fax: (607) 254-4730
Email: breastcancer from cornell.edu
Web: http://envirocancer.cornell.edu

Thank you for your current and past support!

(We realize some of you are unable to send letters because of your official positions. We wanted to inform everyone of BCERF's situation and encourage you to share the details with colleagues who might want to help.)

SAMPLE LETTER AND CONTACT INFORMATION FOR SENATOR MARCELLINO

The Honorable Senator Carl L. Marcellino
812 Legislative Office Building
Albany, NY 12247
Phone: (518) 455-2390
Fax: (518) 426-6975
Email: marcelli from senate.state.ny.us

Dear Senator Marcellino,

I strongly urge you to support efforts to restore full funding to the Cornell University Program on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors (BCERF). New York State citizens depend on BCERF to translate the latest research, so we can understand how environmental factors affect our cancer risk, and then take action with this vital information. BCERF's current and planned efforts on cancer risks of chemicals in the home, workplace, and community must be continued.

Since 1996 BCERF's scientists and educators have evaluated how environmental chemicals affect the risk of breast cancer and translated this into lay language, so we can understand and use it. BCERF provides education and outreach through their quarterly newsletter, The Ribbon, fact sheets, educational handouts, their web site, in databases, and in workshops. We can come to BCERF for answers to our questions about breast cancer and the environment: they listen, treat our concerns seriously, and equip us to be better informed so we can reduce our risk. All this and more will be lost unless funding is restored.

As the chair of the Environmental Conservation Committee, you are the NYS Senate leader in environmental issues, and you are a strong supporter of those suffering with breast cancer. Please make sure funding is restored to the Cornell BCERF program.

Sincerely yours,

SAMPLE LETTER AND CONTACT INFORMATION FOR SENATOR RATH

The Honorable Senator Mary Lou Rath
310 Legislative Office Building
Albany, NY 12247
Phone: (518) 455-3161
Fax: (518) 426-6963
Email: rath from senate.state.ny.us

Dear Senator Rath,

I am writing to you because of your ongoing efforts in the areas of women's health, especially with regard to environment and breast cancer, requesting that you continue to voice your support for the Cornell University Program on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors (BCERF).  BCERF's work to identify environmental links to breast cancer and reduce these risks in the home and workplace benefits all New Yorkers.

Since 1996 BCERF's scientists and educators have evaluated how environmental chemicals affect the risk of breast cancer and translated this into lay language, so we can understand and use it. BCERF provides education and outreach through their quarterly newsletter, The Ribbon, fact sheets, educational handouts, their web site, in databases, and in workshops. We can come to BCERF for answers to our questions about breast cancer and the environment: they listen, treat our concerns seriously, and equip us to be better informed so we can reduce our risk. All this and more will be lost unless funding is restored.

Thank you in advance for doing all you can to keep the BCERF program going strong.

Sincerely,