relationships

fleagirl! heisthen at HOH.MBL.EDU
Wed Aug 3 09:49:40 EST 1994

Roy--

If you are interested in the relationships among salamander families,
check out the work of Alan Larson and of David Hillis, both of whom are
doing molecular systematics of salamanders. I don't know if they have
anything relevant that's more recent than this, but here are the papers
that I've seen:

Hillis, D.M. (1991) The phylogeny of amphibians: Current knowledge and
the role of cytogenetics. In D.M. Green, and S.K. Sessions (eds):
Amphibian Cytogenetics and Evolution. San Diego: Academic, pp. 7-31.

Larson, A. (1991) A molecular perspective on the evolutionary
relationships of the salamander families. Evol. Biol. 25:211-277.

I also have a reference to a paper that looks promising, but I haven't
seen it yet:

Morescalchi, A. (1992) Structural and molecular approaches to the
phylogeny of amphibia.  Bollettino di Zoologia 59:23-31.

Oh, I should point out that of course the findings of Hillis and Larson
contradict each other.

Good luck!
Heather Eisthen
heisthen at mbl.edu