fleagirl! heisthen at HOH.MBL.EDU
Wed Aug 3 09:49:40 EST 1994

If you are interested in the relationships among salamander families,
check out the work of Alan Larson and of David Hillis, both of whom are
doing molecular systematics of salamanders. I don't know if they have
anything relevant that's more recent than this, but here are the papers
that I've seen:

Hillis, D.M. (1991) The phylogeny of amphibians: Current knowledge and
the role of cytogenetics. In D.M. Green, and S.K. Sessions (eds):
Amphibian Cytogenetics and Evolution. San Diego: Academic, pp. 7-31.

Larson, A. (1991) A molecular perspective on the evolutionary
relationships of the salamander families. Evol. Biol. 25:211-277.

I also have a reference to a paper that looks promising, but I haven't
seen it yet:

Morescalchi, A. (1992) Structural and molecular approaches to the
phylogeny of amphibia.  Bollettino di Zoologia 59:23-31.

Oh, I should point out that of course the findings of Hillis and Larson
contradict each other.

Good luck!
Heather Eisthen
heisthen at